Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Trees in Revolution


That's right, China is planting a nationwide army of trees in preparation not only for the Olympic games but a changing environment. I first came across this climate change combat force on my drive from the Beijing airport to TEDA (Technological Development Area). There were 5 meter wide bands of newly planted trees on either side of the highways as seen in the photo. I soon learned that these were all planted in a grand scheme initiated by the central government. Contrary to so many countries, China has gone far beyond empty talks by putting its shovels, workers and enthusiasm where its mouth is. On my two and a half hour drive from the airport, the highway was lined the WHOLE way by these trees. These were not the only trees to be seen as beyond the highway, forests stood waving in the breeze, undisturbed by the farms and industries nearby.

In my travels from TEDA to Tianjin, I see these swathes of newly planted trees in various stages of development. Be it new, mature or just getting there. I frequently see workers clad in army fatigues planting new trees, watering established ones or conducting maintenance. From what I've seen, these trees are not plonked into the middle of nowhere, they are cared for even better than the ones in some Canadian backyards!

This project does not extend only to national highways, I see such tree planting schemes all around me as I walk to work in TEDA and travel in Tianjin. Old concrete sidings, barren sidewalk and old walls are blasted away to make way for the vibrant, new green development of China. Tianjin and TEDA are both very green cities, teeming with more boulevards than I can count. There are wide canals in Tianjin and green parks in the most unexpected places. From what I've seen, there is a great diversity of wildlife. At the plant I work at, swallows frequently fly low over just about everything. Bugs buzz through the air and I see the occasional exotic looking bird diving into the lush green turf which is ubiquitous in TEDA.

No comments: