Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Big Bad BBC

While writing my last entry I came across and article in the BBC that I find grossly misconstrues the state of China's media reporting. The original article may be found here. Essentially, this article is smearing the Chinese Government with a claim that it censors everything the media has to say. An article such as this is obviously meant to lead the reader to believe that as a result, nothing bad is said about China. I'd like to say that I find this article to be insulting to the quality of the Chinese media and also overtly biased. In fact, I've been browsing Chinese news websites for the past few days which openly report on the problems that led up to the quake or the aftermath. I read open reports from the Chinese media which acknowledged that building contractors were to blame for faulty construction and that corrupt officials which embezzled some money were found and punished. I also read a balanced report on how some party officials were caught embezzling relief money. This money was recovered fortunately and the officials suitably punished. I found an up to date example of such reporting here. Note: If China was anything like BBC claims it to be, any mention of quake relief embezzlement would not be mentioned because stuff like that is obviously not good for government appeal. Note as well, this is on CCTV, the news body that BBC claims to be so censored.

In short, I find the BBC to be a tad unreliable for honest information about China. This is because from its articles, I do not see much evidence of on the ground reporting on events such as the bag ban. I'm surprised that I can repudiate some of the claims of the BBC from just reading the Internet and Chinese newspapers which is the real groundwork required to write an article about China. I sincerely hope that the BBC, which I have loyally accepted as my source of news for at least five years now, reforms its way to become far more balanced and fair to the Chinese people, media and government.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think BBC and the general public in the West have an implicit animosity towards China that has deep cultural, political, as well as a purely racial background.

This is why there is a systemic bias.

I just wrote a huge comment, but firefox restarted for some reaons and I lost it. :(

a dragon said...

I'd definitley agree with you on that one, I was appaled by the lack of journalistic investigation both for this journal and other ones. I wonder where the BBC even gets its information to write these things!

And sorry about the comment o.x

Anonymous said...

Although the BBC is one of my preferrred western media choice.
they certainly have an agenda against china.
compare James Fallows/Evan Osnos reporting for the atlantic monthly and new york magazines against the twerp the BBC in China.
Fallows and Osnos point to both good and bad points in china whereas BBC's James Reynolds is vehemently negative on all accounts.
I realize that China has many failings and abuses. But to paint the entire country and it's people through only this light is total bias.
The world may find distaste for American neo-conservatives but we don't judge the country entirely on that one basis.
James Reynolds is crap.