Saturday, June 28, 2008

Instant Audiences in China

What's this you might ask? Those are two dogs enjoying a bit of a wrestle in the street... no big deal right?

Some people seemed to find it to be a big deal! A sizeable crowd started to gather around these two furry wrestlers. This was on the Tangu Golden street - a very popular shopping area in the TEDA region. This phenomenon is quite normal from what I've heard in China, if there is something interesting, people will stop and watch - a lot of people.

I haven't seen any street performers here other than these dogs, perhaps this is what makes people interested in pausing from their busy lives and just stopping for a bit to be entertained.

A friend told me that once he was in an argument on the street and a crowd gathered for him too. From this, we learn that one has to be careful of making themselves a spectacle in China. Good news is, maybe when I have something to say in perfect Chinese, (something about recycling or the environment) all I would need to do is start doing a jig, gather a crowd then give them a speech. Sounds a lot easier than what it takes to make people listen back home (One of my strategies was to dress up like a fairy - dress, wand and all) but I think that's enough about me for now.

No comments: