Saturday, June 28, 2008

Crazy awesome noisy stuff - Fireworks, Firecrackers and other pyrotecnics

Right now, its high season for weddings and the sound of love is in the air - literally. One thing I've really enjoyed here is the cultural fondness for pyrotechnics to celebrate special occasions.

Just last night I was in my room typing up some new entries in this blog (I'm getting obsessed with this I know) and I heard some loud noises outside. It sounded like someone taking a hammer to a piece of metal. I thought that the culprit would let off after a while but for about 5 minutes, the hammering went on unrelented. Then I got suspicious - the next thing that hopped on my mind was fireworks! I tossed on some shoes and sprinted outside hoping to see a bit of the magic before it faded into thin air. Just outside right by my hotel - I saw a Canada day worthy fireworks display. As I neared the pyrotechnic launch location, I noticed a large crowd with firecrackers about to be set off. Soon, the cacophy from these also joined the mix and grey smoke filled the air. Yep - it was a wedding allright! I didn't feel like crashing the party so I kept a distance to enjoy the show.

In one weekend alone in China, I saw more weddings than I've spotted for my entire life in Canada - that's eight total, and to be more specific it was within one DAY. This year of 2008 with the Olympics, is an auspicious year so I am told, and couples are racing to tie the knot. I attended a Chinese wedding of my own which I hope to write about later. Up above, you see some firecrackers arranged in two hearts with an arrow through them. That fine chap is holding two confetti cannons which create an instant rainshower of glittery confetti.

No comments: