Sunday, June 22, 2008

China - Green Roof Leader

Can you believe it? China is a world leader in green roofs! The photo on the right was taken from this article at treehugger.com which details China's green roof situation which is looking bright.

So far, I've seen two green roofs during my short stay. When I first arrived at the Beijing Airport, the largest green roof I have ever seen greeted me. This green roof is situated on top of the huge parking garage for this facility. The cover was lush, espansive and quite inspiring! The second time I ran across one of these spectacular green roofs was on top of a government building in TEDA. I was on the top floor and looking out, I was shocked to see a green roof stretching out as far as the eye could see, covering the entire roof of the building. It defintely seems that GROOF could get a lot of work here in China, I look forward to spotting some more of these green roofs done the Chinese way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is good to see more stories about green roofs.

I read a great series of articles about green roofs and China at http://www.cleanerairforcities.blogspot.com

They would really help the Chinese pollution problem, like I saw in Shanghai in January.

a dragon said...

Thank you for that link. I'm also a huge supporter of green roofs and its good to see information like that out there. I run into new green roofs here quite often and I think things are well on the way towards improvement over here.