Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Plastic Purgery – The true story of the ban on plastic bags

On June 1st, 2008, China made history by banning plastic bags. Considering Ontario hasn't even done so yet, I think that one of the world's largest countries banning the near ubiquitous symbol of western consumerism – the plastic bag - to be an incredible impressive feat.

However, what many sources of western media fail to portray is the on-the-ground implications of the ban. Many sources I've seen make it seem like an all out ban on plastic bags. It is important to note that the BBC frequently takes an anti-China stance, which I'm not particularly fond of. This is far too draconian and it definitely is not the case. There are still plastic bags, but now they are thicker and you MUST pay for them when you buy something. Also, the ban seems to have affected grocery stores first but it does not apply to everything just yet. Note, these observations are made with reference to my travels with friends in China and my own visits to the Tesco's grocery store near to my hotel.

Here is how I see the ban actually working: Grocery stores are no longer allowed to hand out the free ultrathin bags with customer's purchases. At Tesco, thicker plastic bags must now be purchased from the teller which is a HUGE disincentive. I saw this in action with a man in the line in front of me. Like many people must be who either cannot read or do not have access to the new, he had no idea of the ban. He looked very surprised when the teller informed him that he must pay extra for the bag. He opted not to and instead, wrapped his arms around the crateloads of goods he had just bought. There we go, I saw first hand that the ban works! I just hope that the rest of the world can follow suite soon!

If there is a debate about affecting the plastic bag industries (Most of which are in China anyway) guess what – though some ran into difficulties some could adapt to the change and instead moved to making thicker plastic reuseable bags or focused on producing the cloth bags.

However, its not like ultrathin plastic bags have disappeared completely from China. Some places like a shoe store I went to or a street vegetable market I had the chance to visit still use the bag. In the shoe store, I was handed a bag when I bought a pair of shoes, and did not possess enough Chinese to inform the teller that I did not need it! Oh well.. Also, when I was in Beijing, I was with a friend as she bought eggs from the street vendor. The man informed her that bags were banned and was trying to convince her to carry her dozen eggs in her hand. However, due to the difficulty of this, she unfortunately opted to buy a bag instead which was charged extra. From this we see that the bag ban does not appear to apply to every single retail operation just yet (Such as that shoe store) but even street vendors are rallying behind the ban as well!

In the stores I visit, I see frequent advertisements for the newest cloth reusable bags. Thus, the ban doesn’t cripple retail, it offers new room to grow creatively and offer new options. I also see the bags becoming a fashion statement with girls carrying purse style bags emblazoned with the word “I'm not a plastic bag” or an occasional Chinglish one with the obvious mistake “I'm a plastic bag”.

I find this ban to be a microcosmical example of the versatility of the Chinese people. Whatever happens, retail and people find a way to adapt to the change, and live harmoniously in the new way. This is so different from the bull headed stubborn resistance to change I've so often encountered in my environmental pursuits back home!

**Update**
I'm proud to say that companies in China are taking the lead in reuseable bags. The company I work at PPG, recently created this bag which I helped hand out to employees. Though I can't read the Chinese (hopefully one of the readers can help me!) this bag was created to ensure that employees are well equipped to "survive" post plastic bag ban! I was given one myself which I enjoyed using at my local Tesco's! It certainly seems like innovation is around every corner everywhere in China.

***Update***
My colleague has just informed me that the bag reads "To lead the green age with innovation, and to support China in energy saving and emission reduction". That makes sense to me!

No comments: