Friday, August 1, 2008

Tips and Tricks 1

I saw that there was a vote for hints and tricks for living/travelling in China. Similar to reflection section, I'll write out a list of the tips I think can help, with random fun photos in between.

1) Bring a friend or two - sometimes, travel is best experienced in a groups of 2+.

2) Make sure that friend you bring speaks Chinese/is a local/is experienced or that you are yourself! This can help you in your travels, dealings with purchases, sightseeing and all sorts of wonderful things.


3) Think carefully about that camera. What is best for you? Disposable batteries, rechargeable? Large, high detail or small and compact? The rechargeable batteries I have here won't charge, and I hate buying disposable.

4) Make sure you take that camera EVERYWHERE! I missed out on a lot of good opportunities on trips to and from work because I neglect to bring my big bulky camera with me. You just never know what you're going to see!


5) Bring business cards - even if you don't work. You'll meet a ton of new faces, make countless contacts and friends. Instead of scrabbling for pens and paper, business cards make things a TON easier. Prefereably, those business cards are printed on post-consumer recycled paper.

6) Make connections before you come. Having connections helps as if you're forging it out on your own, it can often be difficult. Thus, coming on business or with a local language school can help you get to where you need to go.

Photo credit: AmCham Tianjin


7) Bring a reusable bag. For carrying purchases, buying your groceries, it will save a lot of unecessary plastic and trouble if vendors don't give you a plastic bag!

8) Keep a journal - so much happens here that if you don't keep one, you'll most likely forget all of the things that you've gotten up to.


9) Pocket translators are invaluable - especially ones where you can scribble in Chinese characters and get a translation.

10) Bring pocket tissue with you everywhere - not all washrooms supply toilet paper for hygenic and other reasons!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excuse me, may I ask you a question about the English language. Why we say" favorable balance of trade"but it's not a balance, it's a difference! Do you know?

Unknown said...

Thanks for the tips, we arrive in Tianjin on Sept 1st and are looking forward to enjoying the sites!
We are also from Canada!
Krista

a dragon said...

Oh great! I'm sure that you'll like it quite a bit, do check out the expat site here at:

www.tianjinexpats.com

as there is a very close knit foreign community. If you need anything else, I'll see what I can post!