Thursday, August 7, 2008

Once in a Lifetime - Torch Rally 2008

I woke bright and early on the morning of August 2nd. I had only one purpose in mind - to see the torch that represents the culmination of millions of efforts to prepare for the event the whole world has been holding its breath for - Olympics 2008.

I walked out of my building unsure of exactly where or how I was going to see the torch, and started walking towards the barricades set up around the torch route. The first barricade I reached was fairly far off from the barricade closest to the torch. Thus, I followed the crowds of locals to another, less crowded barricade which must have been only 100 meters away from the torch route.

Nothing could quite describe the energy to be felt by all of us spectators waiting under the beating sun to get a glimpse of the olympic flame. The people around me were from all walks of life - young students sitting atop the brick walls, elderly people waving their fans to keep the heat at bay, young couples holding hands and street cleaners standing atop their bicycles. Everyone seemed to be here at the barricade with me, holding our breaths in unison for the torch to blow past. People climbed lamp posts, flags waves and sun umbrellas fluttered as we waited...waited... waited...

There were multiple false alarms, causing excitement to ripple the crowd. Various vehicles went by in the distance, from coach buses to police cars and two open buses blasting music and featuring cheerleaders to lead in the crowd in the unified Olympic cheer!

When the anticipation became almost unbearable, FINALLY! A small orange flicker, flew past briefly in the distance, spotted in between the gaps in the crowd at the first barricade. Cries of excitement rippled through the group at the barricade I was at. Cameras flashed, children were lifted above the crowd and our voices joined in the Olympic cheer.

Soon after, the crowd broke up and we all headed our separate ways, a bit of that Olympic flame now burning within.


Its hard to see, but here, I
caught a bit of the Flame on Camera

No comments: