Friday, August 1, 2008

Sea of CFLs

This is a mall....

Lit by skylights and CFLs!

CFL – Compact Flourescent Lightbulb. These energy savers are touted as being far more cost effective than their incandescent counterparts. Thankfully Canada is phasing out incandescent, but it took a while for us to jump on the boat to ban the bad bulbs.

Though China does not seem to have incandescent bulbs banned yet (maybe soon! *fingers crossed*) I’m not sure If a ban is needed since CFL’s are ubiquitous already. From my friends’ apartments, to office buildings and restaurants alike, these bulbs are used en masse. An incandescent bulb is a rare sight as people are very familiar with how inefficient and costly incandescent bulbs can be.

Turning off lights when they are not in use is the normal practice and wasting any energy for whatever reason is frowned upon. I think this is a great part of the culture here as I don’t find myself turning off lights and asking for CFL’s like I have to do back home. China never fails to impress me with how energy environmentally conscious people are over here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know it's interesting that most Chinese families seem to be environmentally friendly. They seldom turn on the air conditioners or their gorgeous chandeliers with fluorescent bulbs. You know why, because they want to save money. Ha ha,at least it's true in my home. We have three air conditioners in our 130 Sm apartment but never turn them on until it's 38℃。

a dragon said...

I agree with you on that saving money is a HUGE push for saving some electricity. Its great that people are strict on savings, thus are unconsciously reducing their ecological footprint over here!