Sunday, June 29, 2008

Name Change!

My colleague just informed me that, apparently, green dragons have very very scary connotations in China. I trust her judgement, she's lived here her whole life! Hopefully the new name flies with all of you readers. For anyone coming on board late, the name of this blog went from "Green Dragon in Red China" to "Golden Dragon - Red China - Green Life". Sadly, the url is set in stone, but I guess that is something we will all have to live with (don't be scared).

My mom gave me the name Golden Dragon as apparently, I was born in the year of the golden dragon (1988). Much to my amusement, golden dragon is also a coach bus manufacturer. Some of my colleagues thought that I gave myself the name golden dragon because I liked the coach buses! From what I've heard, a mayor of Beijing also has the same name as me. I hope this name sticks, is culturally sensitive and doesn't ruffle any feathers (or scales) the wrong way.

**UPDATE** Sooo something was lost in translation. Apparently green dragons are not evil, they are just less common than black, silver and golden dragons. Thus, I am happy to announce that it is now safe to return to the old name - Green Dragon in Red China lives again!

Photo source:
http://www.core77.com/blog/images/chinese-dragon-red.jpg

No comments: